Just a little more baby.

Barry White – I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby
20th Century Records – TC-2018
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Styrene, Terre Haute Pressing
US, 1973

For no reason other than I felt like listening to it, here's Barry White with one of his very greatest singles. If you know someone who doesn't understand why people love this guy beyond silly impersonations of the sexy voice, I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby is the place to start. The opening is amazing (and the break has been put to good use more than once on some classic hip hop productions), but listen to the arrangement here- so much going on. The build up that begins right around the 50 second mark is really something special.

The B side, Just A Little More Baby, really lets the music (and Barry White's production skills) shine. More than just a straight instrumental of the A side hit, it's almost a dub mix with Barry's vocal scats echoing in and out and the different instruments getting their moments: those crisp drums, the guitar, the piano, the soaring strings. The white rock critics of the world often want to frame dub in the context of psychedelic rock from the 60s and 70s, but dub's gifts to the birth of classic disco and early hip hop are the real lineage. Dub may have been influenced by jazz traditions of improvisation and soloing, but the innovations of JA studio engineers came from their deep understanding of the music and electronics, not so much Woodstock or whatever.

Anyway... One of my favorite soul singles from a pretty worn 45, but still sounding beautiful to me. Enjoy.

________________________________________________

Tracklist
A I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby
B Just A Little More Baby

________________________________________________

Deeper and deeper in FLAC (24 bit/96kHz): https://mega.nz/folder/xaJRXZoa#HjMjXrqiIJpfiBtS86TblA

Sweeter and sweeter in MP3 (320 kbps): https://mega.nz/folder/QPIWQKSB#m0a5QHrT0pSijkl4GDwbXA


Comments

  1. You're welcome. With my genre jumping every time I post, I'm glad people still manage to find some music they enjoy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing site, my friend. I think I'll visit you in a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I managed to post anything on a more regular basis, but I'll try to make it worth your while when you check it out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life