Sade at the Movies (Part 3: Rated G, No I.D. needed)

Sade – Flower Of The Universe (From Disney's "A Wrinkle In Time")
RCA Records – none
2 x File, FLAC, Single, Mar 9, 2018
info

A return to a long delayed series tracking Sade soundtrack contributions for no particular reason... Parts 1 and 2 here and here.

In 2018, Sade released a new song recorded for the soundtrack of Ava DuVernay's adaptation of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time. This was the first new song the band issued in 8 years, since their 2010 studio album, Soldier Of Love (and a few unreleased tracks included on the 2011 Ultimate Collection greatest hits set). And if a big-budget children's movie isn't where you expected Sade to pop up (especially after the somewhat darker, adult sound of the previous album), that would make sense, but this works well: Sade Adu's vocals as rich as ever, singing a love letter to a child and set over her own wordless backing vocals and a simple guitar. The music continues with the drumless, sparse arrangements that were found on some tracks on the previous album (although it's been a long time- am I remembering that right?), but wrapped around an almost lullaby melody and warmth. The digital single (no physical release that I know of) also included a remix. I have no idea how the track wound up in the hands of longtime Chicago Hip Hop producer No I.D. but I was excited to see the connection. I would have been intimidated with what to do with so sparse a track. No I.D.'s take doesn't attempt to turn to this into anything resembling a club track or a typical Hip Hop remix, but adds tasteful drums and some subtly lush production to the music that should have at least earned this a little radio play.

If you keep score on these posts, you might notice that my appreciation for film scores growing didn't drag my interest in actually watching movies up on the way. I think this is the only movie mentioned in these posts so far that I've actually seen... and that's because it's the only one that any of my children wanted to see watch with me (basically the only reason I'd consent to sitting still and silent in a dark room for hours at a time). I'm pretty sure I thought A Wrinkle In Time was OK, sweet and positive but maybe maybe not enough of the weirdness I remember finding unsettling what I saw that book as a kid... But what do I know? Movies are not really for me, but this single is. (And I like to fake like I'm hard, but ta beautiful song about loving your kids is definitely the way to turn me into a mess these days.)

A quick listen, but I hope you enjoy. (And if you do, stay tuned for the next one. Even better for both Sade fans and lovers of film scores.)

________________________________________________

Tracklist
1 Flower Of The Universe
2 Flower Of The Universe (No I.D. Remix)

________________________________________________

They want to know it's true in FLAC (download zip file): https://mega.nz/file/sKxSDSgS#Wn5MV-0Mv7pIjujStvM08LYIPzFWFQlTSQKyC2cDCiI

There's someone in the world lovely as you in MP3 (download or stream): https://mega.nz/folder/VXwTwQJb#I8e4jqVe8BJUCBwzZqEm8w

Comments

  1. Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. Very good music.
    Picking up some.
    Thenks very much from Argentina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

(you've got to have) Freedom.