Sade at the Movies (Part 2: A Questionable Sequel?)

Various Artists – Special Selections From The Soundtrack Philadelphia (Sampler)
Epic – AED 5695
Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Promo, Sampler, US, 1993

This soundtrack is questionable compared to the last one, but to be fair, Sade's track is actually just fine. She's back with the band on this one, turning in a cover of Percy Mayfield's lovely Please Send Me Someone To Love as their contribution to the soundtrack for the Denzel Washington/Tom Hanks blockbuster, Philadelphia.  ...Which, by the way, makes this another soundtrack to a film I've never seen. (Pay attention and you'll notice a pattern.)

The Sade song isn't going to wind up in your top ten, but it's definitely worth a spin. Please Send Me Someone To Love is a nice piece of songwriting to begin with. You've probably heard five different versions of it over the years and, if you mostly remember the chorus, it's a cut with a surprisingly heavy set of lyrics. Interesting to hear Sade playing with older R&B styles, the band working a slow swing that isn't so far from the original. Sade's vocals leave lots of space for the little piano runs, guitar licks and other touches. A bit cheesy? Maybe, but it also sounds like a great singers and group of musicians enjoying a chance to play a pretty straight take on a song they had some love for. 

And the rest of this sampler EP from the movie soundtrack? Ahem. Honestly, if you tell anyone that I posted a song by "the Spin Doctors," I'm really not going to be happy. That's right, this is what I'm willing to do for you, my friends. I said I would bring you Sade's soundtrack cuts that you might of missed and I'm making it happen, even if it costs me whatever credibility I might have had on good taste. (None of the others actually come packed with anything objectionable. And I should also point out that if my good friend AH sees this and notices that I lumped Springfield in with the Spin Doctors covering CCR and the Indigo Girls, he's going to be offended. So I acknowledge that the Boss's tune is much better than those two, but it's a pretty low bar. Sorry.)

There's a full album for the movie, but I was only really looking for the Sade track, so I grabbed promo vinyl when I had a chance. My copy is less than pristine. Sade's song came out sounding ok, but I can't say I was motivated to put much effort into cleaning up the rest of this much (other than toning down some noisy scratches in the final track). I imagine that won't be much of an issue though, since we're all here today for the main event on track A2.

________________________________________________

Tracklist
A1 Ram          Ibo Lele (Dreams Come True)
A2 Sade          Please Send Me Someone To Love
B1 Spin Doctors     Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
B2 Indigo Girls      I Don't Wanna Talk About It
B3 Bruce Springsteen     Streets Of Philadelphia

________________________________________________

Heaven please send to all mankind understanding and peace of mind... in FLAC (download zip file):

https://mega.nz/file/lfIFzYqC#qngaTq1li0emAOLaJ0G2EViKm72CkTkatBFIvRC5HYM

Just because I'm in misery, I'm not begging for no MP3 (stream or download):

https://mega.nz/folder/NDoVHLRS#OgNURo4n479CVfGHQ5suMw

Comments

  1. Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You are very welcome. A few detours around the corner, but I'll get back to Sade's Hollywood career soon. Hope you enjoyed this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life