It is a miracle.

Bim Sherman – It Must Be A Dream
Original Music
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Jamaica
Early 2000s pressing(?), song from 1980

Right around when I last wrote something here, I remember thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could get my act together and start making posts more regularly. I had actually prepared a post ahead of time for once and started to convince myself that I could pull off sharing something once a week or so with a little effort. Ahem. Well, a full two months later here we are.

In my defense, a lot happened since then. School started and work got challenging, the life decided to show me and some loved ones what challenging *really* looked like. difficult times call for music that brings me some peace, so here's one that I hope can provide a few minutes of the same for others. 

___________________________________

I think that Bim Sherman easily had one of the greatest voices ever in reggae. Sherman has appeared on these pages before and it's a safe bet that he'll turn up again. In addition to that instantly recognizable, sweet and mournful voice, the man could also write some wonderful songs and with few exceptions stuck to tunes he had written himself throughout his career. It Must Be A Dream is among the best of them. 

The version on this single was originally cut for the excellent, 1980 Jah Woosh* produced set, Bim Sherman Meets Horace Andy And U-Black In A Rub-A-Dub Style. This Jamaican 45 is from many years later though, something I think I grabbed as a new pressing in the early 2000s. (And I'm taking the inclusion of Jah Woosh's Hotmail email address on the label as evidence that my memory is probably more or less right.) Prince Jammy mixed this great single and provides a heavy dub version on the B side, blessed by some particularly memorable horn work by the fine trombonist, Vin Gordon. 

Bim Sherman revisited the 1980 track a decade and a half later to some great success. The lyrics provided the title of the album Miracle, his 1996 masterpiece with On-U Sound that featured a delicate, new acoustic version of the song, as well as the remix set that followed. (Those might be worth a visit soon?) I imagine these new 45s were getting pressed up twenty odd years after the ...In A Rub-A-Dub-Style album to capitalize on the international success Sherman was finally starting to find. 

Beautiful, longing and loving music that deserves to be heard by a lot more people. I hope you enjoy it.

*Right after posting this I noticed that the latest post from the always interesting Holland Tunnel Dive blog featured Jah Woosh's Gathering Israel, his excellent self-produced DJ set from 1978. Very worth your time.

___________________________________

Tracklist
A It Must Be A Dream    -    
Bim Sherman
B It Must Be A Dream (Dub Mix)    -    Jammys At The Control

___________________________________

From the one you love so madly, from the one you need so badly in FLAC (download 24/96kHz FLAC zip file HERE

I have to wake up out of my dream, I have to wake up out of MP3 (stream or download 320 MP3 HERE)

___________________________________

Aiming for a lot less than two months before the next time. I actually have some good ones planned if the world chooses cooperate...

Comments

  1. Thanks but both link point to mp3s

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome welcome! I hope you enjoy it, anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very welcome. Kind of hard to go very wrong with a Bim Sherman single!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to see you back... And in very great form!
    Thanks for the goodies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

(you've got to have) Freedom.