Tokyo (Quiet) Storm Warning

Sade – Promise In Tokyo: Nakano Sunplaza, Tokyo, Japan - 11th May 1986
Wardour – Wardour-194
2 x CD, Limited Edition, Numbered, Unofficial Release, Japan, 2016

Sade in Japan part 2: A Japanese bootleg double CD that I somehow ran into featuring a nice soundboard recording of the group's May, 1986 concert in Tokyo.

I doubt I have to motivate this... as someone commented on the last post, could you ever really get too much?

My two cents: This is the kind of bootleg that justifies the existence of bootlegs. My life is just a little bit better for having listened to it. Sade gets associated with romantic songs, but there's always been a dark, brooding side to a lot of their songs. I think part of the appeal comes from the way that voice can be so beautiful and at the same time so heavy, if that makes any sense. That said, to my ears, there's just a little more joy to some of the live performance on this album than on the studio versions I'm so familiar with. It brought out something new and had me appreciating these songs all over again.

And if a 14 minute, live, vamping jazz instrumental isn't your cup of tea, I guarantee that their cover of William DeVaughn's Be Thankful For What You Got alone is worth the price of admission. I'm pretty sure there's never been any officially released recording of this, so a live bootleg is your only path to hearing Sade singing her version of a track that's definitely on my short list of the most perfect songs ever written.

Enjoy!

________________________________________________

Tracklist
1-1 Why Can't We Live Together
1-2 Cherry Pie
1-3 Smooth Operator
1-4 Be Thankful For What You Got
1-5 Hang On To Your Love
1-6 Fear
1-7 Never As Good As The First Time

2-1 Your Love Is King
2-2 Mr. Wrong
2-3 Instrumental
2-4 It's A Crime
2-5 The Sweetest Taboo
2-6 Jezebel

________________________________________________

You're the one who broke my FLAC (download zip file):

https://mega.nz/file/VTQHVLwR#2M21iCeNORnYHwLsBLLwuxTuVxffI6jrNIg7t-MC3SU

In heaven's name, why do you play these games? Hang onto your MP3 (stream or download):

https://mega.nz/folder/9bgwRRxQ#HacX3Kz5La2DtnNPKrZjmQ

Comments

  1. Not a big fan of the live albums, but i'm more than curious after reading your post!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Live albums can definitely be "collection of songs I've already got, but recorded poorly with jackasses yelling during the quiet bits." But every now and then you find a winner... and I find myself enjoying them more these days. Maybe it's a pandemic induced side effect of missing live music and going to concerts? Glad I got you curious, hope you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life