More Than Enough For You (Aaliyah 7"x2)

Aaliyah ‎– Rock The Boat
Label: Blackground Entertainment ‎– 72438-38814-7-5, EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single, US, 2001
Info

DJ Still Life ‎– Try Otra Vez
BSTRD Boots ‎– BJX7:10
Vinyl, 7", US, 2011
Info

A friend recently mentioned Aaliyah holding a special place in her heart, so I was very happy when I actually managed to hunt these down as I sorted through a stack of singles the next day.

First up, two of her hits on a 45, helpfully labeled "FOR JUKEBOXES ONLY!" (I don't remember real jukeboxes that played vinyl still being much of a thing by 2001. What diner was playing the latest by Aaliyah if you popped in a quarter? And what would they be playing if we went there for lunch this weekend?)

Rock The Boat is a great track, but it's More Than A Woman on the flip that really gets me. Aaliyah is pretty much at her best with a killer hook, pounding drums, the squelchy synth bass and strings... Some of Timbaland's sci-fi funk for pop radio productions really have stood the test of time.

The other 7" is credited to DJ Still Life, released by BSTRD Boots, the sometimes brilliant bootleg remix label spun-off of from Brooklyn's Bastard Jazz Recordings. Still Life lifts the acapella to Try Again and throws Aaliyah (and a Rakim impersonating Timbaland) over a digital cumbia beat.

I played this at a party once and R said to me "so you're one of those DJs that loves to play weird cover versions, huh?" I probably took a little offense, imagining some hipster playing a funk version of a Nirvana song or something. But honestly, I love this one. It gives me some hope for this summer. If that makes me the weird cover version guy, I can live with that. 

Tracklist
A Rock The Boat
B More Than A Woman

Tracklist
A Try Otra Vez
B Try Otra Vez (Instrumental)

I hope you enjoy.
__________________________________________________
Dust yourself off in FLAC (download zip file):
https://mega.nz/file/9fJlTa7I#i_C2C5NUYkKLI8_ity39ORX6wBIZJ3cxMV5wEE5RMJY

Try again in MP3 (stream or download):
https://mega.nz/folder/EDRBUQAa#Kturg1hSP9xrf2UVnJfRjA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life