Mama Said Thank You For The Rain

Donny Hathaway And June Conquest ‎– I Thank You / Just Another Reason
Curtom ‎– CR 1971
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, US, 1972
Info

Just a quick one. The great Donny Hathaway in two duets with the less well known June Conquest on this 1972 single. (How someone can remain obscure with a name as brilliant as June Conquest is beyond me.)

Curtis Mayfield wrote the excellent A side and released this on his Curtom record label. I could be wrong, but I think the track was actually cut and first released as Hathaway's first single a few years earlier ('69?), but credited to just "Donny & June." Curtom presumably reissued it a couple years later to take advantage of the success he was finding with his first singles and LP on ATCO.

Honestly, my 45 here sounds pretty awful. I'm pretty sure I was given it for free by someone who had it sitting in her basement for the previous 20 years. I loved it and I Thank You once saw regular play when I had a chance to DJ a soul set in a previous life. All the use shows, with a lot of noise and distortion at all the loudest parts of the song. It's bad enough that I wasn't planning to share (and I really should get around to picking up a copy that's in good shape, you can still regularly find this single for cheap all over the place), but the record was putting a smile on my face at the end of a long week and I figured it might do the same for someone else.

I don't think I Thank You ever featured on a Donny Hathaway album or hist greatest hits packages. Unless you've got a long out of print, imported box set or an obscure Curtom retrospective CD, this 45 is it as far as I know (and the only way I found to enjoy it in my collection anyway). It's a song that sincerely does inspire gratitude in me (as poorly as I may show it). Fittingly, I get to cook breakfast today for both my wife and my mom, who's just been vaccinated, for a belated Mothers' Day. 

Enjoy.


_________________________________

Tracklist
A I Thank You
B Just Another Reason
_________________________________

She said thank you in FLAC (download zip):
https://mega.nz/file/4OpSRTbT#IQujFNhEbEIwU3VxBN-5K0oSF3NXUaNbP-f8bp22GhE
You really got a hold on me in MP3 (download or stream):
https://mega.nz/folder/4exWWThS#hy26d3OBeLA4naI-7t_ECg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life