Still Bill

A broken hard drive cost me a lot of music, time, and peace last week. I've been piecing things together, but lost a plenty of music and am running even further behind in these posts than I would have been. I'll try to make up for lost time a little in the coming days!
____________________________________________________________

We lost Bill Withers, a truly great songwriter, last week. The man didn't just produce hits, but timeless, popular songs that spoke to regular people.

I don't know the ins and outs of his life story, so you won't have to be bored with my usual trivia festival, but the handful of details that I've heard only made Bill Withers more special for me. He started his career later than your typical pop star, already in his thirties after spending a decade or so in the service. He was cutting his first recordings while working as a mechanic and released "Just As I Am," his first album, in 1971. Despite a string of classic songs and hit records, he quickly wrapped up his career, walking away from the music industry more or less entirely by the mid-eighties.

I'm sure I'm being romantic and filling the gaps in his story with all kinds of make believe and wishful thinking. That said, Bill Withers' songs have often formed the soundtrack in my head for the life stories of people in my life and I've loved his music for as long as I can remember.

Withers could build a great song around an incredible range of emotions. For every uplifting "Lean On Me" or "Lovely Day," there was also reflection, story telling portraits and tracks that set some of the darker thoughts that run through our heads to still beautiful music. I've heard more than my share of records designed to shock or offend over the years, but I've never been more jaw-dropped stunned by a song as much as the first time I listened through to the end of "Better Off Dead."

...And then there's "Ain't No Sunshine." Below you'll find the first of three takes I plan on sharing with you of one of the most perfect songs ever written.
_____________________________________________


Eddy Senay ‎– Ain't No Sunshine / Hot Thang
Sussex ‎– SUX 230
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM
US, 1972

Side A - Ain't No Sunshine
Side B - Hot Thang

Detroit guitarist Eddy Senay gives us an instrumental take on the Bill Withers classic from 1972 (just a year after Withers' hit was first released). Senay plays it straight but tough, no show off theatrics. The lyrics to Ain't No Sunshine are no small part of the appeal, but I think this version really highlights that just how powerful and memorable the tune itself really is.

Eddy Senay only ever released two albums, both in on Sussex in 1972 and both solid instrumental funk records that are worth your time if you spot a copy. The labels on this 45 claim these tracks are "from the forthcoming LP, 'Just Feeling It.'" Not sure what changed, but by the time his first album was released, "Hot Thang," the Senay original on the flip side, had become the title track.
__________________________________

A few more tributes to Ain't No Sunshine coming, hopefully tomorrow.

Comments

  1. FLAC: https://mega.nz/folder/NHYinIYD#rxaO4amXINNebDxCx8Q8-Q
    MP3: https://mega.nz/folder/sDJFhYJL#_SQWNkPWgpCdqB3hfiYCwQ

    Enjoy! Again, if any of you can't figure out how to get this downloaded or listen, please just drop me a line and I'll help you work it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't let problems get you down.

New Year's version (Auld-U Syne?)

Sunshine, Life